SPEFT: The Beginnings

My buddy Josh and I are starting a theater collective right before I relocate out of the ATL, so I feel a little like Ellen Page bringing this theater baby to term, and then passing it off to Jennifer Garner, who I'm sure will take really good care of it. We've named it SPEFT - the Society for the Preservation and Enrichment of Free Thinkers.

I have one more reading in Atlanta before I'm gone, I'm half of "Ladies Night", where SPEFT presents readings by myself and the lovely Tara Chiusano, who has written her first play. I got to see it grow from a little ten minute piece to an actual full length and I am proud as punch of her.

I'm premiering a show I started for NAPLWRIMO 2010 (That's National Play Writing Month for the non-Rhinos out there), and have finally got around to finishing almost two years later. And it still isn't 75 pages (at least not in Times New Roman. In Century Gothic, it's 77)

Here's a snippet:

CHORUS
Then sings my soul, My Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art, How great Thou art

THE SINGING CONTINUES SOFTLY. ERNEST ENTERS, NOW MORE PUT TOGETHER. HE LEANS ON THE WALL NEXT TO ALBERT
ERNEST
You must have read Tom Sawyer.

ALBERT
What?

ERNEST
You know, watching your own funeral. It used to be pretty rare, but now everybody wants to do it. You know, see who’s crying the most, hear all the nice things people never bothered to say while you were alive, hear the depressing songs, make sure your widow’s behaving.
She does look good in black.

ALBERT
I don’t think this song is depressing.

ERNEST
Really? “How great you are, God for killing our friend?” It’s not “How Fair Thou Art” or “How Merciful Thou Art” But How Great, thou art. You know what else is great? The Great Depression. The Great War. I’d rather not be Great, you know?

ALBERT
What about the Great Gatsby?

ERNEST
You must not have read that one.

So, if you're in town, come to the Little 5 Points Community Center on Monday August 6th at 7:00 and hear some funny, touching, awesome plays.

I'm gonna miss these folks.

Comments

Popular Posts