Where is my phone: a poem

Okay, but seriously
I know I had it this morning
And now it is gone

I retraced my steps
I sat in that chair, but I moved, right?
It is not on the bookshelf
It is not in the bathroom
It is not in the kitchen, not even on top of the microw-

hold on

Dammit.
Last time it was on top of the microwave
This time
it is not

The ringer's on silent,
Because I was rehearsing last night
and I wanted to be “respectful”
But I did not turn the ringer back on
because I was “absent minded”

And now the baby is playing with my purse
She's wrapping the strap over her shoulder
and strutting confidently around the living room
She has places to go, this baby
She has many important errands to run
and she looks so freaking cute

I want to take a picture so badly

so I can show her how precocious she was
when she actually has places to go
and many important errands to run

I want to keep this moment
trapped, held, pressed between glass and silicon
until data loses meaning and we all drift into the ether

Now she's dancing
She's turned on that awful elephant thing
and she's stomping and smiling
with my purse wrapped around her
Gum wrappers and old receipts spilling out
as she dances and giggles
She has many places to go
many important errands to run
like this

But I do not have my phone
and the real camera is gathering dust on the bookshelf
by the time I get it, she will no longer be dancing

So I'll stay here
and take her picture with words
with the ache of knowing
that even if I had my phone
and could capture this instant
it'd be gone
an instant later


I do need my phone though


Soon, I'm sure, the baby will find it
and put it in her mouth



Comments

Popular Posts